Funky Bug
Location: Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines
Found this very colorful bug today. Haven’t seen anything like this before.
Signature: Alta

Jewel Bug

HI Alta,
Several months ago we posted some photos of the Jewel Bug, but despite our research, we have still not identified the species.

Location: Philippines

4 Responses to Unknown Jewel Bug from the Philippines

1. Jessi says:

I think it may be from the Scutelleridae family, also known as shield-backed bugs. Those are closely related to stink bugs, and it sort of has a stink bug/shield bug shape.

2. Jessi says:

I totally lost my train of thought. What I meant to say is that I’ve seen pictures of these before, but they’re always labeled as just Scutelleridae, with no other specific name, so maybe it doesn’t have one, or maybe no one knows what it is.

Thanks for your comments Jessi. Many tropical Shield Bugs in the family Scutelleridae have bright, metallic coloration, and they are called Jewel Bugs.

3. Jessi says:

Yes, I was doing too many things as once than realized my mistake not long after I said it. I already knew it was a Jewel Bug, but what I was trying to say, was that I’ve seen this one on numerous other sites, and they only have it as “Scutelleridae from the Philippines” and nothing more. I’m good at forgetting what I’m saying while I’m in the middle of saying it, he he.