What is this bug?
Location: In a home aquarium Florida
Hey bugman, I live in FL and I have recently found these bugs in my home aquarium. They are little, about the size of a little round ball on the end of a sewing pin. They are scurrying around my tank and if I mess with them they get under the substrate or hide in the wood that I have in there. The tank has been set up for a couple of years and these things just appeared overnight it seems. I can’t seem to find an image of them anywhere on the internet. Could you help me. I don’t know if they are harmful or not. Thanks Lori
Signature: Thanks Lori

Aquarium Bug

Hi Lori,
We haven’t a clue what this might be, but the behavior you describe indicates it is most likely some type of Crustacean.  As you know, any time you introduce something new to an aquarium, including a plant or rock or live food, you run the risk of hitchhikers arriving as well.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide some assistance.  It appears your aquarium is fresh water.  Please confirm.

Location: Florida

5 Responses to Unknown "Bug" in Aquarium

1. Jacob H says:

If it swims through the water with a sort of “hopping” motion near the bottom of the tank, it could possibly be an Ostracod, or “seed shrimp.”

If it scurries across the gravel, plants, and tank ornaments, and has visible legs, it’s probably a Copepod of some sort.

Both crustaceans are rather common, and usually come in on aquarium plants. They’re completely harmless, and feed upon algae, detritus, and other fine organic particles suspended in the water column.

2. Storm says:

From the behaviour description, I’d agree with the seed shrimp ID, as daphnia don’t hang out in/on the substrate.
    Not a lot of fish eat seed shrimp because they’re so well encased, but they are completely harmless. I think they’re kinda cute:-)
    Take a look at this video clip and see if it’s a match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKBTfz7ERM)
    cheers, Storm

3. armando says:

Found a green leaf looking beatle when i emptied out my fish tank. anybody know more less what it could be?