A wrapping at my chamber window
Location: Costal Connecitut
Hello there. Humid summer nights in Connecticut are often less than pleasant. Especially during the evening when all the flying beetles come out.
Still, I must imagine I must have it a lot better here than some people do elsewhere.
I guess the best way to describe me is as a creeped-out observer. I finds insets fascinating on some level but I am also very creeped out by many of them.
I heard tapping over near my window on the second floor. I figured it might be flying beetles. I know the the few silverfish that seem to periodically live in the old window are silent runners. Still I went over to the window to close it and what did I find but this black mystery bug. I managed to take a few pictures. I hope they help. Something tells me it was beetles tapping at the window but my curiosity always gets the better of me.
I hope you can help.
Signature: Max

Broad Headed Bug

Hi Max,
This is a Broad Headed Bug in the family Alydidae, most likely
Alydus eurinus based on images posted to BugGuide.  They feed on the juices of plants, so you don’t need to worry if they should gain admission to your room.  We could not locate any information about them being attracted to lights at night, but we did learn that they are sometimes called Ant Bugs because the immature nymphs mimic ants.

Thank you! That’s a relief.
You run a great website. I look forward to being a frequent reader/supporter.
-Max

Location: Connecticut