unidentified beetle
Location: Wassenaar, Zuid Holland, Netherlands
I took this photo outside my front garden. I live in south Holland, Netherlands, Europe.
When I poked it gently with my door key it made a noise, I think coming from its rear but not sure.
It was not interested in moving and I found it again trying to dig into the dry dirt. It was about 3.5 – 4 centimetres long.
Signature: Rosie

June Beetle

Hi Rosie,
This is sure a pretty Scarab Beetle, actually one of the June Beetles.  We located it on the Photo Gallery of Beetles website, and had to view all the thumbnails, where we learned it is
Polyphylla fullo.  There are some nice photos here, and BioLib also has a good photo.  According to the Free Dictionary:  “The beetle is distributed in middle and southeastern Europe; in the USSR it is found in Byelorussia, the Ukraine, and the Volga Region. The beetles fly in July evenings and nights; they feed on the leaves and needles of trees. The females deposit their eggs in the soil. Development continues for three years; in extremely dark places, development may take up to four years. Young larvae feed on humus and the roots of herbaceous plants; older larvae gnaw through the roots of shrubs and trees and cause desiccation of the plants.”

Location: Netherlands