Bug
Location: Stanford, Ky (cntrl)
These weird creatures are all around our porch. We cant even sit outside, because there are so many of them. Please tell us what we have here. They look intimidating for their size.The first and third pictures are of the underside. Thank you for your help.
Signature: Thank you, C.Willmon

Lace Bug

Dear C.,
This appears to be a Lace Bug in the family Tingidae.  There is not enough detail in your photo for us to determine the species.  According to BugGuide, Lace Bugs : “Feed mainly on leaves of trees and shrubs, causing yellow spotting and sometimes browning and death of the leaves.”  You should inspect the plants around your porch to determine which tree or shrub has been infested.  You can try spraying the leaves with a strong jet of water on a daily basis to rid the tree of immature insects that will not be able to fly back.  IN a short time, you should be able to control the infestation, but it takes diligence.

Location: Kentucky

One Response to Lace Bug

1. 1990s. In covington KY a friend was picking me up in his car in my dad’s back alley where there were trees. A swarm of these little bugs were going around me before I got in the car. I had really long hair and they got stuck on my hair. My friend was like what the heck. Do you have LICE? I was like NOOOOOO. I told him the bugs just now flew at me before I got in the car. It really freaked him out because he thought I was infested with lice.