Metallic blue wasp
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
I saw this striking metallic blue wasp two days ago at Mud Lake in Ottawa. I don’t remember exact size, just that it struck me as one of the largest wasps I’d ever seen. The possibilities I know of are Blue Mud Dauber, Steel Blue Cricket Hunter, and Great Black Wasp. However I don’t know which of these species actually occur in Ottawa. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Signature: Suzanne Britton

Blue Mud Dauber

Hi Suzanne,
You did a very nice job of narrowing down the possibilities, and we believe your first choice, the Blue Mud Dauber,
Chalybion californicum, is correct.  You can compare your image to the ones posted to BugGuide.

Location: Canada

2 Responses to Blue Mud Dauber

1. Ashley potts says:

found blue mud wasp in Farmington, Michigan on 8/4/15. I’ve never seen a brighter flying insect other than a butterfly. Very beautiful so I looked it up and found out what it was on this website. Just wanted to share location and date. Thanks!!
    Ashley p

2. Carl says:

I have seen Blue Mud Daubers almost every year in Cheboygan, Michigan since the 1980’s.
    As children, and now, We were somewhat terrified.