Leafhopper and beetle identification
Location: Huejutla de Reyes, Hidalgo, México
June 30, 2011 11:55 am
Der Bugman,
Help me with the identification of the leafhopper and the beetle as I have not managed to find anything like it in the network. Regards
Signature: Axel

Darkling Beetle

Hi Axel,
We do not recognize your beetle, and our first attempt to identify it did not produce any significant leads.  though the coloration reminds us of a Ground Beetle in the family Carabidae, the form, legs and antennae remind us more of a Darkling Beetle in the family Tenebrionidae.  We will check with Eric Eaton to get his opinion.

Eric Eaton provides information
Right you are, Daniel.  This is indeed a darkling beetle in the family Tenebrionidae.  I just have no idea which one!  That family is extremely diverse.  Well, our own North American Tarpela micans looks very similar to that Mexican specimen…I do wonder if they don’t mimic the big, stinky ground beetles like the caterpillar hunters….

Location: Mexico

2 Responses to Darkling Beetle from Mexico

1. beetle finder says:

Hey found a beetle in my house just like that… was big, like length of short pack of cigaretts big… so slightly bigger than a mouse… cat was chasing it… is it really a darkling beetle? We live in Central eastern Illinois… know any more about it?