Red and black flying bug
Location: Yorkshire, England
Can anyone identify this insect? When it flies, the parts of the wings near the body are a spectacular red; at rest, the black wings show red spots.
We have spotted these in two locations near the coast in Yorkshire (U.K.) in June.
Signature: Mike G

Six Spot Burnet

Hi Mike,
According to the UK Moths website, this Six Spot Burnet is a common diurnal species.

Thanks. I’ve looked in our books, tried a few Websites, but I couldn’t find it! So thanks for your help.
I’ve seen lots more in the last few days, so they must be common, but I’ve noticed any before.
Mike.

Location: UK

11 Responses to Six Spot Burnet

1. Dave says:

Hello, thanks for helping find this insect. I’ve seen it in Cheltenham recently. It appears to be really fussy about flower types, as it navigate for ages around them until it finds a thistle head for example. Looking at the picture above it could be simply be the colour purple it likes. Anyway, it looks great in flight with it’s deep blue/black hue.

2. PamelaJayne says:

I have just found the above on my Lavendar bushes in France! It was too quick for my lens which is broken 🙁 Will keep an eye out now!

3. Nicky says:

Saw one on my bright yellow washing basket this morning – stayed there for ages while we watched it and took photos!

Guilden, Morden, Cambridgeshire

4. Anne says:

How exciting! My daughter advised me to google my query. We have seen this beautiful insect in the garden; on lavender flowers and a thistle type flower. Not a nervous insect, so we were able to watch it for ages. In Ashtead, Surrey.

5. Bob Potts says:

Saw what must be a red and black burnett butterfly near thistles two days ago. Lovely red spots on black wings. Location – the unspoilt habitat next to Metrolink footpath at St. Werburgh Road tram-stop.

6. Bob Potts says:

Lived in Manchester for eighty-one years, and this was my very first sighting of the ever-so-small burnett butterfly. Made my day!

7. Bob Potts says:

Thanks Bugman. I spelt the name wrong too! Last year I watched a large dragonfly chasing a moth at Sale Water Park. They flew so fast, weaving and diving, twisting and turning, a display of aerial dexterity that had me spell-bound. Too fast to identify but the moth was the same size as a Burnet and I hope it got away.

8. Miriam Rogers says:

I saw these, lots and lots of them for the first time yesterday. They were on the purple buddleia and purple thistle in an unspoilt area behind a supermarket in Dawlish, Devon.

9. Alison Payne says:

One of the children in my class found one of these in our outdoor area. We didn’t know what it was and we’re excited when we learnt its name.

10. Saw lots of these on thistle heads on the coastal path at Hendon in Sunderland. First time I have ever seen them and was pleased to identify them via your website.