Prometheus or Tulip Tree Silkmoth?
Location: Clifton, Virginia
Hi! This gorgeous moth was playing around my porch light last night (6/29/2011), and I spent over an hour watching and photgraphing her. I thought at the time that she is a Prometheus (Callosamia promethea), but now Googling has led me to find out that she may be a Tulip-Tree Silkmoth (Callosamia angulifera), which looks very similar. I’m having a tough time deciding which she is, and I’m about all googled out. Help, please? Thanks!
Signature: Ericka

Tuliptree Silkmoth

Hi Ericka,
You did a nice job of sleuthing.  In our opinion, this is a male Tuliptree Silkmoth.  It looks nearly identical to this image on BugGuide.  We are suffering from Google overdose ourselves and we are about to close the office and enjoy the beautiful Southern California day.

Hi Daniel.
Thank you so much for the speedy reply. Good to know! I do have loads of tulip trees in the yard, so that makes sense. I didn’t realize there was another moth species that looks so similar to C. promethea. I will rename my photo files and stop referring to said moth in the feminine.
Have a great evening!
Ericka