4.5” Long flying bug with large pincers
Location: Enola, PA
I found this beauty on my shed door after mowing my yard on June 25th. I’m in central PA. I’ve lived here 11 years and I’ve never seen anything quite like it. I got very close to it and it kept turning it’s head to look at me when I was photographing it, but never attempted to flee or bite.
Signature: Gary Manis

Male Dobsonfly

Dear Gary,
We knew what insect you wanted identified by your subject line before even viewing the photos.  Dobsonflies are one of our most frequently asked summer identification requests.  This beauty is a male who may be distinguished by the mandibles.  We wonder what injury resulted in the broken right mandible.

Male Dobsonfly

Location: Pennsylvania

One Response to Male Dobsonfly

1. Angela says:

We saw one of these recently in Georgetown, TX. Like the 2011 post from Gary Manis, we had never seen one of these dobsonflies before.

I’m a bit disturbed by the image where some one put a screw into one. None-the-less, I’m thankful there’s this site to help identify critters properly.