wild flowers bring the bugs!
Location: Bright, Indiana
Hi Bugman, wild flowers on a vacant block in Bright, Indiana are giving me heaps of photo ops and questions as to ’What’s that bug?’ The red ’bugs’ were certainly getting busy! Bug #5 was about 1” long and reminded me of a hummingbird the way it hovered. Your site is just the best!
Signature: luv the bugs!

Mating Red Milkweed Beetles

Thanks for your compliment.  Milkweed is a very rich insect habitat.  There are insects that feed upon parts of the milkweed plant like the Large Milkweed Bug you photographed.  Many pollinating insects are attracted to the blossoms which are rich in nectar, like the Hummingbird Moth you submitted.  Our favorite of your photos, and the one we are including in this posting, is the image of the mating Red Milkweed Beetles, Tetraopes tetrophthalmus.

Thank you Daniel for helping me out with naming my bugs and posting my picture  🙂 I certainly agree with you about the Milkweed. There were 5 different insects I found that day + several types of bees buzzing around. Thank you for your wonderful site.
Jackie

Location: Indiana

One Response to Mating Red Milkweed Beetles

1. Chinchillazilla says:

We get a lot of these on our milkweed every year. My favorite fact about these little guys (well, mostly the only thing I know) also gives me the heebie-jeebies a little – their eyes are bisected by their antennae! I was peering closely at one once and thought his antennae were growing right out of his eyeballs. At first I thought he was the victim of some horrible genetic abnormality!