shrimp beetle???
Location: Milford, CT
I live in Connecticut and found this guy crawling on my floor. It was also making flipping movements like a shrimp! Never seen one before. Help!
Signature: freaked out

Lawn Shrimp

Dear freaked out,
This sure looks to us like a Lawn Shrimp or House Hopper, a terrestrial Amphipod native to Australia that has become established in California gardens and more recently, Florida gardens.  It is especially associated with gardens that are well watered and have eucalyptus trees and if conditions are right, they can become very plentiful.  See bugGuide for additional information. We doubt you will experience much of a problem in Connecticut with Lawn Shrimp, and it is our theory that perhaps you recently did some landscaping or purchased some plants from a nursery and that those plants may have originated in California, or possibly Florida.  It is doubtful that Lawn Shrimp will be able to survive your severe winter and we doubt they will become established.  This is most likely a single sighting and you should not be alarmed.

Location: Connecticut

One Response to Lawn Shrimp, in Connecticut!!!

1. Anthony says:

My friends and I
    Took a night walk at his parents beach house at the Potomac River delta to the Chesapeake Bay in Heathesville Va. While walking we saw… Hundreds of these things. None of us had any clue what they were. I google searched what I called, “land shrimp” because they had antennaes and tails that would flip like shrimp but crawled like waterbugs or silverfish, quckly I might add. They were very moist and almost slimy. Are these things truly land shrimps?