Male Stag Beetle – Lucanus Elaphus

Giant Stag Beetle

Male Stag Beetle – Lucanus Elaphus
Location: Newton, North Carolina
This docile little fella came to me a couple of nights ago, so I snapped a few pics of him.
I let him crawl around on me for a while before I tossed him back into the bushes.
Signature: Rick (SCWIDVICIOUS)

Giant Stag Beetle

Hi Rick,
Nice to hear from you again, and we are especially pleased that you are submitting images of a living Giant Stag Beetle since the only two examples we have posted this year have been smashed individuals found in parking lots.  It saddens us greatly to think that so many people think it is fine to smash such a magnificent creature.

Giant Stag Beetle

I am glad you like and used the pics 🙂
It is ashamed for sure, I never understood why people want to kill any insect for being an insect, especially ones like this. You can rest well tonight knowing he is out there in the woods happily eating and fighting his buddies like he is meant too..
I will look to see if I can find a female soon.
Have a good evening,
Rick

Location: North Carolina

One Response to Giant Stag Beetle

1. Jessi says:

That is one very beautiful, cool looking bug! I can see how people would be scared of it though. Still, that’s no reason for the Big Squish.