Howling at the Moon?
Location: Mount Zion, Illinois
My husband found this spider in the basement, and after he’d finished yelling (screaming), he was kind enough to let me take a few pictures. I’ve been through bugguide.net and your website and my field guides, so here’s my question: Is it a wolf spider (genus Pardosa)? Is it a fishing spider (genus Dolomedes)? If it’s a wolf spider, it’s the largest I’ve ever seen…definitely large enough to howl at the moon with the real wolves. 😉
She was released outside in the woods.
PS – In response to your editor’s note about Brood XIX on the cicada page, they were quite prevalent here. The sound outside was deafening. When they first started emerging, I walked by a small bush that had at least 30 molting within a square foot. Their emergence and subsequent disappearance was quick but amazing!
Thanks!!
Signature: Michelle B

Fishing Spider

Hi Michelle,
This sure looks like a Fishing Spider, probably
Dolomedes tenebrosus, to us.  We are happy you came to your husband’s rescue and that you relocated this harmless, but frightening looking predator.  Thanks so much for your comment on Brood XIX.

Location: Illinois