What kind of bug is it?
Location: Louisville, KY
After the tornado activity in Louisville last night, I came out this morning to see this large beetle type bug just sitting on the post of the deck railing. It is about 3 ins. Can you help me with what it is exactly?
Signature: Eileen

After spending more time looking through your website, I think I discovered it was a Hercules beetle.  It was the color that threw me off, but I read someone else’s post asking about color changes and there was a phrase about even seeing them in mahogany.  So I guess that is what it is … a male Eastern Hercules Beetle.  That is, unless you disagree and can tell me otherwise.  Thanks, I appreciate what you do.

Eastern Hercules Beetle

Hi Eileen,
We are thrilled to hear that you were able to self identify your Eastern Hercules Beetle,
Dynastes tityus, which is reportedly the heaviest North American beetle.  Your individual is a male.  Females do not have the horns.

Location: Kentucky