funny bright yellow bug
Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
hello there, i love the your facebook blog and scoured thru your website to find this bug before posting.
I found perched on top of one of my swiss chard plants, and then finally stayed on the green beans till the end of the day. I’m in the garden all the time, but have never seen one of these things. It’s super thin, and was about two inches long. My first reaction (while picking green beans) was ”what a strange bug, I hope it’s beneficial?!” after taking the pictures i noticed it is missing one of the back legs. I watched it for a long time, but it never did anything. I hope you can help, would hate to find out that i should have removed this bug.
Signature: Beneficial Bug Lover

Yellow Oblong Winged Katydid

Dear Beneficial Bug Lover,
This is a Katydid, and while most Katydids are green in color, there are occasionally pink mutations or color variations as well as even rarer colors like yellow.  We found a matching image on BugGuide that is identified as an Oblong Winged Katydid,
Amblycorypha oblongifolia.  We will check with Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki to see if he can verify our identification, however, he may be on summer break and unavailable right now.

Piotr Naskrecki responds
This indeed looks like A. oblongifolia.
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: North Carolina

2 Responses to Yellow Katydid

1. Sherry says:

I am glad you posted this picture, when looking up in the trees last week , saw something bright yellow and thought what is that, and now I know. Never seen a yellow Katydid before.

2. Nancy says:

I found an orangish-yellow bug that looked like a katydid. He was literally hanging out in my living room on the curtain.