RE a previously unidentified brown beetle
Location: South East Michigan
June 17, 2011 11:15 am
Greetings Bugman,
I wrote, yesterday I think it was, about a large number of brown beetles that had found there way into my home. And though I had tried to identify them via my normally reliable resources, I had alas be left in the dark.
Since I have written that letter I have spent several hours browsing your site, as well as observing my most recent visitor. We captured it in a zippered sandwich bag the closest clear object at the time of its discovery… and at one point my daughter had flipped the bag over landing the creature on its back. It struggled for several seconds trying to right its self and then a pop came from the bag, the plastic shuddered slightly and suddenly it was right side up again! Eager to see this again we duplicated it several times and even completely grossed my husband out with it.
Having discovered this new distinction I started searching the web and found the term ”click beetle” but no picture to accompany it so I brought the term to your sight and low and behold I found an entry for a black click beetle! It looks exactly like mine with the only difference being the color (mine is brown).
The mystery of what is attracting them into our house has still got me cleaning like a nut and sealing all our dry goods in zippered plastic bags. Any suggestions that would lead their cuiriosity elsewhere would be apreciated.
Though it seems that since I’ve been holding the one for observation the rest have stayed hidden.
Thank you again,
Signature: Long Time Entomology Enthusiast (SB)

Click Beetle

Dear SB,
Your email has us positively charmed.  We love the initiative you took to correctly identify your Click Beetle.  Alas, we do not have the necessary skills to identify your beetle to the species level as many Click Beetles in the family Elateridae look very similar.

Location: Michigan