Thank you
June 13, 2011 7:17 am
Hi Bug Folks,
This morning when I went outside, we had two grapevine beetles on our screen door. I didn’t know that at the time, of course, but a quick search of What’s That Bug gave me the information I needed. I use your site several times a year, and I don’t think I’ve ever written to thank you for it.
I have three children, the oldest of whom is nine, and a brief search has rescued many a scary-looking bug from this paranoid mother. When my daughter was waking up with bites on her arms, you helped me identify the culprit (spider), and when I found small bugs on our comforter, you relieved my bedbug paranoia (carpet beetles).
When we find unknown bugs in the house, I use the site to determine how far away we take them when we show them out (just outside the door, way out in the back yard, or down the road?). I’ve even learned to tolerate the occasional house centipede.
I was a teacher/naturalist at a bird sanctuary for many years, so I’m a live-and-let-live person by nature and training, but being a mother has given me a twitchy stomping foot (That’s probably not a black widow in the corner of the bathroom, but what if it is? My babies!).
I appreciate your site and your attitude toward bugs, which helps temper those squash-and-ask-questions-later instincts.
I can tell that this site is a lot of work, and I just wanted you to know that our family appreciates it.
Yours,
Kara Laughlin

Grapevine Beetle from our archives

Dear Kara,
In our seemingly impossible task of trying to respond to the numerous emails we received during our week away from the office, the subject line generally influences which emails we read first.  We never pass on the opportunity to read something that begins with a thank you and we were quite touched by your kind letter.  We are happy to hear that our mission to spread appreciation and tolerance of the lower beasts has struck a harmonious chord with so many readers.  We have dredged up a photo of a Grapevine Beetle from our archives to accompany this posting.

3 Responses to Fanmail and Grapevine Beetle

1. nicole says:

Do these beetles bite or are they harmful in anyway??

2. nicole says:

I’m sorry to be more specific. I live in florida and have a 98 yr old grandfather that likes to sit on the front porch a lot but we have this big beigeish colores beetle that looks like the grapevine beetles but has no spots on it its just a nice beige color and looks really smooth expect for his legs, they clawish or prickly. this beetle has been on our porch for the past week day and night. and since I’ve never seen one before and after googling beetles and learning some bite I’m concerned because at my grandpas age and condition I don’t think he could handle getting bit by anything harmful. I’ve gotten it in a bowl before and moved it to the grass and it keeps comming back.is this a kind of beetle we should be careful of??