Brown Gas Station Bug!
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Hi Bugman (bugpeople?),
I found this bug at a gas station yesterday in North Hollywood, CA. It looks big in the photo, but I’d say it was the size of a large jellybean. It was alone, sitting on the ground, and just asking to have it’s picture taken! Someone suggested it might be a Christmas beetle, but I looked that up, and it seems shinier than the bug I found.
Thanks for your knowledge!
Signature: Jeffrey Mann

Dusty June Beetle

Hi Jeffrey,
Christmas Beetles are from Australia, and that is not to say that they might be introduced to southern California like many other other Australian insects, however, we believe this is another scarab known as a Dusty June Beetle in the genus
Amblonoxia.  According to Charles Hogue in his wonderful book, Insects of the Los Angeles Basin, the Dusty June Beetle can be recognized by its “heart-shaped scutellum” which is “noticeably paler than the rest of the back.”  More photos are available on BugGuide.

One Response to Dusty June Beetle

1. yes, i have also been given this bug by my landscape teacher and very hard info to find on this cannot for the love of god find the scientific name for dusty june. 🙁 Alot of the names are different from one another (under species alone) .