Mosquito-Moth looking insect?
Location: western New York state
June 3, 2011 8:50 am
Hi, I found this insect taking a break on the outside of our storm door this morning. It appears to have a mosquito body with weird moth-like wings and a curved up tail…I’ve never seen anything like this. Oh, I forgot to get a picture of this, but the legs all came straight down from the thorax to a central grouping, then went outwards. Kinda made it look like the insect had a deeply keeled chest.
I can generally guess the Order of an insect, and often narrow it down to Family when attempting to look one up – but this one has me stumped.
It’s a chilly morning today (even with it being June!), below 60F right now. I think it was trying to warm up in the sun – certainly didn’t mind me taking photos or jostling the door.
Anyways, I’d love to know what genus and/or species this critter is. Thanks in advance!
Signature: Kimberely

Plume Moth

Hi Kimberly,
We get countless requests to identify Plume Moths in the family Pterophoridae, and your creature is a member of that family.  Often those identification requests include the graphic description “T Bug” and most members of this family are characterized by their unusual wing formation which causes the insect to resemble the letter T.  Trying to get your individual identified to the genus or species level might be difficult.  BugGuide is a good place to begin that task.  Since we will be out of the office for a week in mid June, we are preparing your letter to go live to our site on June 14.

Plume Moth