This bug is strange, what is it, please?
Location: West-Central Florida.
Hello bugman,
I was watering my plants and I saw whis WEIRD looking bug and I ran in the house to get my camera before it flew off. It was still there when I came back and noticed a bit more that it was at his/her home. The plant it is in, is a lilly of some sort and he/she has a home inside, with a bit of spider web around it…which I don’t know if it is it’s web….since it doesn’t have 8 legs like a spider. Me and husband are guessing it might be in a locust family. It looks like it has a very small head. I think it is an alien! LOL!
The location is West-central Florida, woodlands. The season is close to the end of spring.
Signature: is this an alien bug?

Wheel Bug

This is not an alien bug, but a native predatory species called a Wheel Bug.  We have much information about Wheel Bugs in our archives.  Wheel Bugs will help keep your garden free of insects that will damage your plants, and Wheel Bugs should be handled with caution.  They are capable of biting if they are not handled with caution.

Location: Florida