Metalic green bug
Location: Southern Illinois
I use your site often to identify bugs and butterflies often. I have sent mystery bugs to you in the past as well. I do a lot of nature photography and I find the insect world a facinating place. Last week end we were hiking in Southern Illinois in Garden of the gods State Park. We kept seeing these bright green bugs on the path. I couldn’t get real close to look, I got a couple pictures that didn’t blur. I am just not sure what catagory to use to identify them. They flew and were very fast on their feet. I was not sure if they were a beetle or not. They were about 3/4 of an inch long. Can you help me identify my green friend?
Signature: Janet Fox

Six Spotted Tiger Beetle

Hi Janet,
We will be out of the office for a week and we are preparing your photo to post live to our site on June 11.  This gem-like beauty is a predatory Six Spotted Tiger Beetle, and we often get identification requests for them in the early spring.

Location: Illinois