Found in DC June 1
Location: Washington, DC
June 2, 2011 8:32 am
A friend asked me if I knew what this was — I’ve never seen one. I’m guessing some kind of borer, but don’t really know.
Signature: MaryMc

Actually, I just figured out that it’s an eyed elater, so no need for you guys to trouble with it!  Thanks anyway.

Eyed Elater

Hi MaryMc,
We realize you already self identified your Eyed Elater, which thrills us because we believe that most identification requests we receive can be researched using our archives and our excellent search engine.  We really like your photograph which appeals to our sense of humor in that it illustrates the interactions wild creatures often have with the civilized world.  If we ever find the time to create a new calendar, this image would be a strong contender.  Since we will be away from the office in early June, we are postdating this entry to go live to our site next week.

Location: Washington, DC