Should I be scared of this?
Location: Near Atlanta
I know…it is actually big enough to carry off a small child. We are a bug loving family though and don’t want to harm the good bugs. When this thing gets close though…heebeejeebies!
Signature: Juliette

Snowberry Clearwing Moth

Hi Juliette,
This is a perfectly harmless Sphinx Moth in the family Sphingidae, a group whose members are frequently mistaken for hummingbirds, especially the diurnal species like this member of the genus
Hemaris.  Here is an excellent identifying description on Bill Oehlke’s excellent Sphingidae of the Americas website for the Snowberry Clearwing or Bumblebee Moth,:  “Hemaris diffinis is a very variable species, but almost always the abdomen sports contrasting black and yellow hairs, the ventral surface being quite black. The legs also tend to be quite dark and there is a black mask running across the eye and along the sides of the thorax. The description fits your individual perfectly.

Location: Georgia

2 Responses to Snowberry Clearwing Moth

1. dennis says:

Have one of these here in Connecticut! Just took a few shots which came out real nice. Are they supposed to be this far north? Ours looks a bit bigger than the local bumblebee, and about same size as our hummingbirds!
    Have not posted pics on flickr yet, but soon.