Unidentifiable bug/insect in hole
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
I have several holes in my yard about the diameter of a pencil. Every now and then I can see its inhabitant peeking out, but it is quick. It ducks back in before I can really get a good look. Recently I was able to get a photo and try to enlarge image. This is driving me crazy what is this bug?
Signature: Bugged

Tiger Beetle Larva

Hi Bugged,
This is the predatory larva of a Tiger Beetle in the subfamily Cicindelinae and you may compare your photo to this image on BugGuideBugGuide also offers this information on the larvae:  “The larvae typically occur in the same habitat as the adults. The S-shaped larvae construct vertical burrows in the soil and anchor themselves with hooks located on the fifth abdominal segment.”

Location: Georgia

2 Responses to Tiger Beetle Larva

1. Dan says:

I’m a Golf Course Superintendent and I’ve just went through a greens renovation. I have these Tiger Beetle Larvae coming up all over my new greens. Holes everywhere. What can I do to treat them??