fly?
Location: southwestern pennsylvania
hello, I was walking around my farm with my camera and saw this stunning bug, a fly? or what else could it be.. gorgeous
Signature: robin

Feather Legged Fly

Hi Robin,
We are relatively certain this is a Hover Fly or Flower Fly in the family Syrphidae, but we haven’t the time at the moment to browse the images on BugGuide to verify that identification and perhaps provide a species name.

Feather Legged Fly

thanks so much, i browsed bug guide and didn’t find anything.. I will continue to search around thanks again!

Kevin Moran provides an ID:  August 17, 2014
Feather Legged Fly:  Trichopoda lanipes

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Feather Legged Fly

1. Kevin Moran says:

This is Trichopoda lanipes, a Tachinidae. The genus is called the feather legged flies after the presence of long setae on the hind tibia. It is a frequent flower visitor. It is a parasite of stink bugs (Pentatomidae) and leaf footed bugs (Coreidae)

http://bugguide.net/node/view/535913/bgpage

Thanks for the assistance with this old identification. We have correctly identified Feather Legged Flies on our site, but we somehow missed this one.