Creepy black and yellow bug
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
So, this bug landed on my shoe while I was luckily not wearing it. I shooed it away a few times but it kept coming back and landing on that same shoe. Finally, my friend through something in the general direction of the bug (she has horrible aim and didn’t come close to actually hitting it) and it flew away. I grabbed my shoes and left before it had the chance to come back after that, but I was just wondering if you could tell me what it is that was hanging around us.
Thanks 🙂
Signature: Kasey

Bee-Like Robber Fly

Dear Kasey,
This amazing predator is a Bee-Like Robber Fly,
Laphria saffrana.  We suspect the species name, saffrana, might refer to the legs which resemble saffron, though that is merely a guess.  You can see additional images of this Bee-Like Robber Fly on BugGuide, and it could be noted that the data page on BugGuide indicates sightings from Alabama as well as surrounding states in the South.  Many years ago we posted a photo of a mating pair of Laphria saffrana.

Bee-Like Robber Fly

Thanks so much! I think I took the picture back in March, but completely forgot about it until I was going through my camera the other day. I’m glad to finally know what it was, I had never seen one before and I haven’t seen one since.

Location: Alabama