I’ve never seen anything like this!
Location: Lake Mary, FL
I live in Central Florida near Orlando. A couple of nights ago I found this bug (which I believe is some type of roach) sitting right in front of my pantry. I apologize in advance, but im kind of terrified of bugs so I sprayed it with poison… However, 36 hours later it’s still alive which is confusing. Nobody I know has ANY idea what this is. Its body is 1 1/2 inches long but the antanae are at least twice the length of the body and it has 4 silver spots on its back. Please help me identify this if possible.
Thanks, Dustin
Signature: Dustin N.

Ivory Marked Beetle

Dear Dustin,
This is an Ivory Marked Beetle,
Eburia quadrigeminata, and though it is still alive 36 hours after being doused with poison, we fear it has not long for this world as the inside of a plastic bag is not its typical habitat.  We are tagging this as an example of Unnecessary Carnage.  The larvae bore into the heartwood of a variety of hardwood trees including ash, oak, hickory, locust, chestnut, maple, elm, beech and cherry.  According to BugGuide:  “Notorious for emerging from furniture after as many as 10-40 yrs” and “Delayed emergence of E. quadrigeminata was discovered from a birch bookcase 40 years old.”

Location: Florida

14 Responses to Ivory Marked Beetle: Alive 36 hours after poison!!!

1. carolyn says:

is the ivory marked beetle poison. it bit a youth and died after it bit. the youth says he feels ill now. was this caused from the bug bite

2. Brittany says:

Is this bug poisonous??

3. Betty Chitty says:

I found this bug in my kitchen. I had shopped at 3 stores one of the stores is Ollie’s a discount store which has a little of everything I was in the pottery dept for while and the items that I bought when I got home I put on the counter in the kitchen, later that evening I found this bug the ivory marked beetle

4. Kathleen Hayes Wildrick says:

An Ivory Marked Beetle appeared the other night on the mirror in my children’s bathroom. I’d never seen such a beetle before and understand that it’s larvae can rest for 10-40 years inside wood or furniture. I live in central NJ. Questions: Will there be more of these in my house? I put it outside–was that the wrong thing to do? Should I notify anyone about this beetle being in my house and now outside? (Someone said I should not have put it outside!)

Thanks for your help.

They are native to your area, so releasing the beetle is not a problem. We would suspect that the adult beetle entered the home, perhaps being attracted to the lights, sooner than we would suspect it emerged from milled lumber, though that is a possibility.

5. leah barrow says:

I saw it flying around in my den, knocked it down, found it 2 days later still living, put it in water and took it out still moving it’s legs. slowly dying i hope!

6. Candy gore says:

I was bit by a Ivroy beetle I want to know if it will make me sick

7. Jeremy says:

I do believe I have witnessed the birth of two, mere inches from one another, however, 2 weeks apart. The 2×4 that holds my garage door opener is directly above where I found them, and there are two holes, 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch, with grey…..something…inside.
    That 2×4 was there long before I moved here, 11 years ago.

8. Ren says:

This was quite helpful! I found one of these little fellows on my wall! I released him into my yard in SW Missouri. I had never seen one before! I ran inside to get my camera (I’m a photographer) and when I came back, it was gone!

9. Paul Harris says:

Found one on my night stand, scared the crap outta me although now learning hes harmless gives me peace of mind.

10. Denise says:

Found one of these on the back of my shirt. I felt it bite me, glad to have found this site to know it’s not poisonous. I did scare the bajesus out of me though. I took a picture of it with the google pic app. Love this app I will say or I probably wouldn’t have known what it was. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana thanks