iridescent beetle
May 29, 2011 11:22:19 AM PDT
found in montano de oro state pakr, CA
may, 2010
Clare

Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle

Hi Clare,
Interestingly, when we searched BugGuide for the identity of this Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle, we discovered an image posted there that we also have on WTB?, but which has been unidentified.  The larvae of this beetle,
Trirhabda flavolimbata, feed on the leaves of Baccharis.  We were uncertain if they were Sawfly Larvae or Leaf Beetle Larvae, and now we know that they are the latter.

Update: May 29, 2011 3:22 PM PST
In a moment of clarity, we realized all we need to do is to copy the previous posting onto the chronological end of this posting.

Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle Larvae on Baccharis
caterpillars in coyote brush (Baccharis pilularis) in Carpinteria, CA
Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:38 PM
I’m not sure what these green caterpillars are. There were hundreds of them in the Coyote Brush (Baccharis pilularis) at the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park this past weekend.
John Callender
Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Carpinteria, CA

Unknown Sawfly on Baccharis

Hi John,
We will check with Eric Eaton, but we believe these are Sawflies and not Caterpillars. Sawflies are the larval form of a non-stinging member of the order of insects that includes ant, bees and wasps, Hymenoptera.

Update:
Hard to tell from the image, but either sawfly larvae or chrysomelid leaf beetle larvae.

Update: May 29, 2011
Upon searching for the identity of a Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle on BugGuide, we discovered that these are the larvae of
Trirhabda flavolimbata.

2 Responses to Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle

1. Krissy says:

I found bugs in my house in Wisconsin that is very similar to the Skeletonizing Leaf Beetle. The shape is exactly the same, with the exception of the antennae being shorter. The ones I had looked a little less green, when they fly the look brown, but on closer examination they are green. And the head area is more brown and less yellowish. Could this still be the same type of bug? I haven’t been able to find anything else even close. I tried to get a picture but it was too blurry.