Stinkbug with hairy legs?
Location: El Paso, TX
Hello WTB! It’s nice and hot here in Texas and the bugs are really starting to invite themselves into the house. I’m thinking that this tiny fellow is from the stinkbug family, but I’ve never seen one with hairy legs like that. Can stinkbugs have hairy legs or is this actually a kind of roach? Thanks for any help!
Signature: Jen

Burrowing Bug

Hi Jen,
Though this is not a Stink Bug it is a related True Bug in the suborder Heteroptera.  This is a Burrowing Bug in the family Cydnidae based on some images posted to BugGuide.  We are very excited to be creating a new subcategory for Digger Bugs thanks to your photograph.  We will also search our archives to see if there are any other Burrowing Bugs buried there.

Location: Texas

9 Responses to Burrowing Bug

1. phxdoug says:

I have found several in my Apt in South Phoenix, AZ. Are they harmful to humans and how do I get rid of them?

Burrowing Bugs are not harmful to humans. We do not give extermination advice. We believe that it is highly unlikely that you had Burrowing Bugs in your apartment. It is more likely that you had some species of Cockroach like the Oriental Cockroach (see BugGuide), or perhaps a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, though BugGuide does not report them from Arizona.

2. phxdoug says:

The bug I found is IDENTICAL to the one in the picture. Reports from BugGuide state that they are common in AZ March – August. I will try to get a Picture Sent to you …

3. ChicagoJack says:

I live in Chicago, IL and had one of them show up in my bedroom the last 2 nights…crazy. I have no idea how they got here. They look IDENTICAL to the ones in the photo. I had thought I had bed bugs, but then I stumbled over this…and bingo!

4. Tia hardy says:

Are the burrower bugs harmful to dogs?

5. Jay says:

Hi I have been up all nite online trying to be certain what kind of bug this could be, I have a picture, I want to know if it is harmful to my 4yr old & myself. We live in michigan.