Larvae on a Log
Location: Audubon, PA
Dear WTB, While I was reorganizing my woodpile, I came across this larvae nest and found it very interesting. I never saw anything like it before. After I took the picture and scraped the nest off of my log, the yellow substance was a really fine powder, kind of like pollen. Do you have any idea what these little worms will turn into?
Signature: Cheryl

Possibly Bee Nest provisioned with Pollen

Dear Cheryl,
Please forgive us.  We absolutely cannot research this tonight.  It was a long day (14 hours of teaching, monitoring, attending awards and scholarship presentations, and conducting SLO assessments.  The students actually accused us of being grouchy today.  The end of the semester is rough.  Enough of that.  We believe this is a Solitary Bee Nest and we believe the yellow substance is Pollen.  Time will tell.

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Native Bee Nest we guess

1. Kylie Uttley says:

Did you ever discover what this is? I have found an identical one in the wooden sill of the window. And after trailing the internet for anything that look remotly similar I came across this image which is identical to what I discovered.

2. Garth says:

My cousin in Indiana also found the same nest under a tarp on his property in southwest Indiana. I’m curious to know what it is.