Tiny detritovores
Location: Amani Nature Reserve, Northeast Tanzania
These little guys have taken over the forest floor in the last week or two. It’s about two months into the rainy season here, and these tiny white insects have appeared all over the forest floor. They’re almost exclusively on dead plant matter (leaves, logs, dead tree trunks), and it is difficult to convey just how many of these things are out there. I would say that there are several for every dead leaf in the forest. In some areas I don’t see any, in most areas they’re around, and on some leaves or logs they reach remarkable densities.
Signature: Phil

Springtails

Hi Phil,
You sure know how to catch our attention with a subject line.  These are Springtails, generally considered the most numerous hexapods on the planet.  They are important because they help break down organic matter into humus.

Springtails

We love your entire series of photos which establish the scene, demonstrate scale, and finally, provide a revealing close-up.

Springtails

Location: Africa