large moth
Location: NE CT
My wife found this in the garage last night. Appx 4 inches wide and 4 inches long.
Signature: Kim & Tom

Luna Moth

Dear Kim & Tom,
Thanks for reporting that Luna Moth sightings have reached more northern states.

Location: Connecticut

11 Responses to Luna Moth in Connecticut

1. jack4054 says:

I work at a park in east bridgewater mass i have 2 of these moths on the building

2. Mike says:

Found one of these outside work last night in central CT. Beautiful bug.

3. Mary Eliza says:

I went out to put the film in my trailcam at 10 pm on 1 June and one of these, or something shaped like it, but white, with a long swallowtail, swooped around my flashlight. It wad bigger than my hand. Was it a luna moth?

That sounds like a very strong possibility. No other North American creature looks remotely like a Luna Moth.

4. Aaron says:

I took pictures of a Luna Moth on my white door frame this morning.
    It is a beautiful moth. Sad it will only live a week.

5. Joe says:

We had this beautiful huge light green moth fluttering outside our deck glass doors tonight at 11:30 pm and it kept trying to go towards a lamp inside the house. That was the coolest moth we’ve ever seen. It made the small moths on the window look like ants compared to its size. I really hope he comes back to visit. What an interesting insect! East Hartland CT

• Joe says:

It had the wings similar to an angel and so far has not returned. I think a bat may have spotted it fluttering as we do have bats near my deck.😔

6. Marilynn says:

Had a huge luna moth on my back deck this morning. I am in Lisbon CT. The wingspan had to be well over 4”. Is this native to the area?

7. Barbara says:

Found one on my evergreen early am. It stayed there to almost 4:30p
    I took pictures it was so pretty
    Madison Ct.

8. Gary says:

Hi I found a Luna moth caterpillar last night walking on the sidewalk I have photographs not sure how to load him what a beautiful insect!