Vicious pincher?
Location: South-Central Pennsylvania
I’ve been finding about one of these a day in my basement bedroom. This beastly-looking thing was captured and tossed back outside in the grass, where I’d rather they stay. I’m not too keen on being pinched or bitten.
I’ve tried ID’ing it through your site, but there are so many different species of beetle, I don’t know where to begin! I live in south-central Pennsylvania. It’s about half an inch long or so, with an obviously large head, tiny thorax and large abdomen. Can they fly? I would assume this is a PA native?
Signature: Dutch Country Girl

Big Headed Ground Beetle

Dear Dutch Country Girl,
This is a Ground Beetle in the genus
Scarites.  It is most likely Scarites subterraneus, commonly called and aptly named the Big Headed Ground Beetle.  You may read more about it on BugGuide where you will find that it is native to your area as well as to much of the continental U.S.

Location: Pennsylvania

8 Responses to Big Headed Ground Beetle

1. Teri says:

We have those vile insects where we are in Southern WI too. Is there any way to prevent them from coming into the 1st floor apartments. We are on a floating slab foundation no basement.

2. Melissa says:

My 5yr old son keeps catching these nasty looking pinchy Beatles. He thinks they are neat. We live in western new York. I think they are the grossest looking things ever!

3. SuperMom says:

I found one of these in Dewitt, Iowa

4. Julie says:

My daughter found one calling on her face while she was napping! Then it pinched her on her finger. We tried to kill it and we had to cut the head off. It has a pretty tough she’ll!
    We live in Central Oregon.

5. Jason grabowski says:

I found 2 in my basement apartment about less than 2″ long, I fed it to my leopard gecko.

6. Hayley says:

Just found one. If they have pinchers that means they pinch? Thank god i saved my cat…how r they beneficial? Looks more like something to be concerned about to me. ..

7. L G Mcp says:

They are tough as heck. I found one alive in the washing machine. He survived the whole wash cycle with HOT water mind you.