At first glance…
Location: Western NY state
I found this bug on my shirt pocket May 21, 2011 in Western NY state. It looked iridescent in the sun, but it looks even more interesting in the shade. It wasn’t very active – after brushing it off my shirt, it calmly posed for pictures. I don’t have a clue as to what it is, but the pics looked quite interesting to me.
Signature: Gary D. Timothy

Metallic Borer Beetle

Hi Gary,
This is a Metallic Borer Beetle in the family Buprestidae, and we believe we have narrowed the identification down to the genus
Dicerca, however, there are many species that look quite similar that are found in your area (24 species listed in North America), and we do not feel comfortable taking the identification to the species level.  You can see BugGuide for the possibilities.  BugGuide indicates:  “Many breed in decaying hardwoods.”  The detail of the head might make species identification a bit easier for an expert.

Metallic Borer Beetle

Location: New York