Ed. Note: May 21, 2011
Now is one of those times that being more aware of insect anatomy and not making identifications based on superficial visual identifications would come in handy.  We no longer believe this is a Leaf Cutter Bee.  We don’t believe any Leaf Cutter Bees gather pollen on their legs.  It looks like this native Bee is gathering pollen on its legs, or perhaps it just has long yellow hairs on its legs.  We wish someone would write in and give us a clear cut explanation of what species of Bee this is.  I am going to include more native Bees in my Theodore Payne Foundation talk on Saturday, 28 May, 2011 at 1:00 PM.

What's That Bee???

See the whole original posting HERE.
If you know your native Southern California Bees, please help with this identification.  It would be wonderful to know what it is before Saturday.

Daniel Marlos lectures at Theodore Payne Foundation
The Curious World of Bugs with Daniel Marlos
Saturday, May 28, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
A special lecture on those wondrous creatures called bugs – including native
species that pollinate, predate and mate in the most curious ways, and
exotic species that can wreak havoc in our gardens. Daniel is an artist and
photographer and the author of The Curious World of Bugs: The Bugman’s Guide
to the Mysterious and Remarkable Lives of Things That Crawl
. The program
includes an exploration of Daniel’s popular website, whatsthatbug.com, and
ends with a book-signing.

The Curious World of Bugs

Register early as space is limited.

3 Responses to Leafcutter Bee or Not??? Theodore Payne Foundation Talk

1. Remirez says:

have you looked at family Melittidae?
    They collect pollen on their legs. and some genera look much like this. I’m no expert on bees, though.

Some genera of Megachilidae do collect pollen…. requires more research I suppose.

2. Anna Carreon says:

I just discovered that I have an second cousin who is an Entomologist. His name is Steve Thoenes. I don’t know if you have heard of him or not, but I’ve emailed him this photo and hope to hear back from him soon.

Anna

Hi Anna,
      How interesting. I have not heard of Steve Thoenes. Where does he work? If you get a proper identification, please let us know.