What’s this Bug?
Location: Tehachapi, California (about 35 miles East Southeast of Bakersfield). The elevation there is about 3900ft.
Hello, a friend recently (today) found this crawling across her floor at her home in Tehachapi, California (about 35 miles East Southeast of Bakersfield). The elevation there is about 3900ft.
It’s about 2.5in long.
We’ve ruled out millipede and centipede due to the inconsistency of the legs per segment. She assures me there were more legs than the 3 pair that can be seen in the photo. I’m thinking it’s in it’s larval or pupal stage.
What do you think?
Signature: with love? I don’t know what you mean by this.

Beetle Larva

This sure looks like a Western Banded Glowworm to us and you are correct that it is a larva.  Here is a photo on BugGuide that is very similar.

I’m impressed!
I’ve been reading up on your findings and I concur with your ID.  I was leaning towards some form of Coleoptera from Lepidoptera (just didn’t feel very moth-like).  I knew those Entomology classes in college would help out some day.
Thank you very much for helping out.
Sincerely,
Mark
Mark Meredith
Field Botanist, Graphic Designer