Moth found in central Pa
Location: trout run pennsylvania cascade township
what is this thing. I have seen it 2 times both at night. It is dead now on the 2nd night.it has a big white body. I’m in a wooded area in north central Pennsylvania.
Signature: Ann Smith

Luna Moth

Dear Ann,
Each year we track the northward emergence of the Luna Moths, and your Pennsylvania encounter is the most northern sighting we have received thus far this year.

thank you dan. I watched this moth all night it was raining most of the Night and I honestly thought it was dying. It didn’t die .I went to see it around 6 am it was shaking alot .I checked on it all night and then at 6:15 am it was gone.  If anyone gets a chance to see this luna moth they are very pretty in color. awesome sighting.

Location: Pennsylvania

35 Responses to Luna Moth in Pennsylvania

1. erica says:

i live in pa as well in a town called milford i see this moth all the time ive also seen it where my mother in law lives in pocono pines (mt pocono) they are very pretty ive also seen an all white looks almost like a feather with the same tails its soooo pretty

2. Tj McMackin says:

Saw this moth for two nights hanging on my door in albrightsville penn.

3. Ed says:

I saw one Friday nite in Ward Township, Tioga Pa

4. Jason says:

Hello. This morning my neighbor had a luna moth on her front door. We live just south of Erie, Pennsylvania. It is about 5 inches wide and about the long. Very pretty. It has a deep red along its leading wing edges. I will try to upload a photo of it later. Just thought I’d share.

5. Carol says:

I have a Beautiful Lunar moth on my front door today. unfortunately one of the tail wings is missing? Morgantown PA.

6. Danielle says:

I just took a picture of one. I live in Hyde Park PA. They are gorgeous

7. Erin says:

Saw a Luna Moth this morning. We are about an hour south of Lake Erie in Transfer, PA.

8. Danielle says:

Im currently watching this moth just hanging out by the door to my work in Leechburg, PA. Kinda scary at first, since I’ve never seen one before lol

9. josh says:

When I was a young child in the late 80s early 90s. I used to so these beautiful creatures of the night all the time the stage thing was a lot of them seem to be grey and black with those distinct eyes on the wings. Also occasionally grey with maroon hues and grey with green hues. I’ve never had the chance to see one as vibrant green as the photos I see. I used to see them every year quite a frw of them actually up until well i really cant remember when i stopped noticing them. I lived about 10 miles south of erie,pa in a small town called Waterford. I still live here only a few miles from where I grew up and it’s been a very very long time since I’ve seen one. 20+ years or more. Can you explain why that is? It would be greatly appreciated cause I’ve always wondered. I’m just guessing that it has something to do with the type of weather changes. Also after reading a little on them that it might have to do with the amount of black walnut trees that have been harvested from this area due to such a high value spikes of black walnut lumber upwards of 13 to 18$ a board ft. for veneer logs. The saddest part is the vast majority of the lumber was and is probably still sent overseas to japan. Anyway thank
    Wish I had pics to show

10. Scott says:

We live in Darlington, Pa 50 miles north of Pittsburgh. In August 2015 We had 5 Luna Moths for 5 days camping out on the front of our Garage. My wife would go to work in the morning they were there. I would leave for work at 3 p.m. and they would still be there day and night They would never moved during that time. With the pine trees around our house and the area well shaded probably suited them, they were all light green in color. Wish I would of taken Photos of them.

11. Anne Millar says:

We run a summer camp in central PA. This morning, our first day of camp, I spotted a luna moth under one of our porch lights. In the nine years that I’ve lived here I’ve only seen a handful of luna moths and it’s always such a sweet surprise.

12. Loretta says:

We encountered the Luna Moth this weekend in Burlington, Pennsylvania at my sister’s house. We have photos of it if interested.

13. Stacey says:

Someone hit one in the Coal Township Wal-Mart parking lot today 🙁

14. Victoria Blasius says:

I found a Luna moth in the Elizabethville Pa Wal-Mart parking lot this evening. It was just sitting there not moving. I carefully got it into a box. So I can take it to the Ned Smith Center in Millersburg tomorrow. Sorry I don’t know how to add the pics I took. Thanks, Victoria

15. Tiffany says:

saw one tonight in Lehigh Twp, PA kn my front porch. Wonderful experience to share with my 9 year old daughter

16. Josh says:

My siter just saw one the other night
    10 miles soulth of erie,pa

17. Joann says:

We found a Luna moth a couple of weeks ago. Eastern part of pa.

18. Mike says:

In the Blakeslee / Lake Pocono area (NEPA) I always see Luna Moths at the end of May and early June, regular as clockwork. This year my first sighting was yesterday, July 18. Why so late, I wonder? I also always see the new fawns around mid June. (I live next to a nature preserve – lots of wildlife. But this year no fawns until early July. Crazy weather?

Perhaps. Additionally, there are probably two generations of Luna Moths in your area. The spring emergence is from individuals that overwinter as cocoons and the second generation later in the summer develops from the eggs of the first generation. The caterpillars produced from the second generation will overwinter as cocoons, starting the cycle again.

19. Joann says:

The Luna moth was seen a couple months ago. Eastern penna. Upper black Eddy. Never the Luna moth any other year.
    Another kind of moth , a black and white checkered one. Last month or so.

20. Nancy S. says:

While not quite as far north as the rest of you, I had one stay overnight on the stones of our home in Bucks County, PA in the late 90s. It was enormous, pale green – so beautiful. I had never seen one before and have not seen one since. It was next to a boxwood shrub. Definitely the most exquisite moth I have ever seen. If I can find the photo, I will definitely load it onto the site.

21. Helen Bair says:

Found a Luna moth in Orrtanna Pa yesterday

22. Naomi says:

Found one on my house by the back porch light this morning. I’m just outside of Pittsburgh. I’d post a photo but I don’t see an option that will allow.

23. CC says:

I have a Luna moth today. I did not know what is was so I took a photo and video. I touched it during the video, hope that was OK for the moth. Side of my mom’s house in Pine Grove Mills, PA

https://www.facebook.com/kc.steeler/videos/pcb.2572978036046026/2572900986053731/?type=3&theater

24. Mile says:

I have been seeing many Luna’s for weeks now. Sometimes I find them laying in the driveway in the morning. Not dead, just dormant. I gently coax them out of harm’s way with a sheet of thin cardboard and they eventually get the idea and flutter off to the leaves on the side. Later in the day they are gone. Warmed up and flew off? There was one on the screen on the kitchen window for several days, in a different position each morning. Gone now.

I know that soon they will all be gone so I will enjoy their presence while I can. Farewell pretty ones. May your spirits dance on moonbeams until next year.