What’s the bug on the sunflower?
Location: South Pasadena, CA
I have a rogue sunflower in the yard. Today I spotted this bug on it. I thought maybe a leaf-footed bug, which I knew from WTB. I read that sunflowers are popular with leaf-footed bugs. I was sufficiently confident to name the image accordingly, but nowhere near certain.
Signature: Barbara

Immature Leaf Footed Bug

Hi again Barbara,
We agree that this is an immature Leaf Footed Bug, most likely in the genus
Leptoglossus.  It is probably the Western Leaf Footed Bug, Leptoglossus clypealis, which may be found on BugGuide.  Immature Hemipterans can be quite difficult to identify since many look very similar.  BugGuide does not have any images of immature Western Leaf Footed Bugs, however, this image of a nymph from the genus Leptoglossus from Texas posted to BugGuide looks very similar.  We have been working for hours this morning on a Powerpoint Presentation for the Theodore Payne Foundation instead of posting new letters.  We are hoping you will grant permission to use this image in our presentation.

I’d be pleased to have you use the picture.  With some luck, I’ll be able to make your presentation.  Thanks for your help with the bug i.d.

I will also be using some of your Monarch Caterpillar images.  I have prepared the first half of the presentation and I think it is going to look awesome.  Luckily, through the years, many gorgeous images have come to the website thanks to the wonderful talents of the readership.  It will be great to meet you face to face if you are able to attend Barbara.

Correction June 17, 2011
Now that Barbara has supplied a photo of the adult, we can correctly identify this as
Leptoglossus zonatus.

2 Responses to Immature Leaf Footed Bug

1. […] as bird food. Signature: BarbaraImmature Leaf-Footed BugHi Barbara, Thanks for adding to your previous posting of the stages of growth for this Leaf Footed Bug, Leptoglossus zonatus, now correctly identified.  […]

2. […] were submitted by a reader from South Pasadena California.  Those images were an update from a previous posting that is documenting the stages of the incomplete metamorphosis of this species.  According to […]