Name that bug?
Location: Perth, Western Australia
We have passed this around our office (staff of over a hundred), and no one has been able to identify.
Please help us!!
Signature: Unknown

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Unknown,
We quickly identified your caterpillar as
Hippotion celerio on the Butterfly House website devoted to the Lepidoptera of Australia.  It is commonly called a Gabi Moth or Vine Hawkmoth.  The Butterfly House website indicates:  “This Caterpillar occurs world-wide. It can occur in several different colour forms: green, brown, red or dark grey. It usually has an eyespot each side of the first and second abdominal segments, those on the first segment being larger. There are variable cryptic stripes and bands along the rest of the body. The Caterpillar has a tailhorn curved slightly backwards which tapers to a point.”  This is actually an Old World species and it is not found in North America or South America.  According to the Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic website, it is described as:  “A notable migrant in most years from tropical Africa and India to the western Palaearctic region. In warm years, new colonies may even be established in North Africa and Europe, so the delineation between resident and migrant ranges cannot be clearly defined. It is, however, resident in the Canary Islands, and probably also in the Azores and along the Atlantic coast of Morocco. It is certainly resident in many areas of the Levant and the Arabian Peninsula (Pittaway, 1979b), and Egypt (Badr et al., 1985).  Extra-limital range. Tropical Africa, Asia and Australia, with occasional records from northern New Zealand.”  The caterpillar in your photo is reacting as though it was threatened based on this information on the Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic website:  “As with most larvae exhibiting anterior eye-spots, the head is retracted when the larva is alarmed, expanding the large eye-spots on the first abdominal segment. When feeding, it rarely consumes the whole of a leaf; shoots with quarter- or half-eaten leaves often indicate the presence of a larva. Whereas young larvae may be found beneath a leaf, fully-grown specimens usually rest away from the feeding area, farther down the stem.”  This species is known to feed on grape as well as numerous other plants.

Location: Australia

18 Responses to Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar from Australia

1. daniddt says:

haha it looks like a toy.

2. Barbara Hart says:

I have just found a Vine Hawkmoth in my Adelaide garden. I wondered if it pupated underground, as it seemed to want to stay on the earth. I had put it back on the vine, thinking it had fallen off.

3. Nige says:

What is this are they harmless to your lawn and are they poisoness

4. Nige says:

I live on the mid North Coast of Australia

5. chris Newton says:

I just found one in Glebe Sydney

6. jon says:

Found one in lower blue mtns nsw

7. Anne Marie Finnegan says:

I just found on in the suburb of Cork, Ireland

8. Shirley Heath says:

I found one in southern coastal NSW in Australia and we do have an ornamental grape within close proximity to where I found it. I also found a smaller green one the following day with the same eye markings and spike on the end.

9. MareeS. says:

Wow!! Thank you for the explanation for this intriguing caterpillar. At lunch time, one almost fell on my cats head from the grape vine on the pergola. Mine has two large white eyes with a black oval center and above the eyes what looks like two little ears and a smiley mouth. It is an olive green colour and when I enlarge the photo you can see that the eyes are false because they have little dots on the black.

10. Christine Barker says:

Have just identified one in our Tokay grapevine that protects the verandah from the western sun, in Malmsbury, central Victoria. While we are diligent in eradicating the young this one slipped by – a very impressive caterpillar.

11. Blaiz Smith (8) says:

I found one under my Big Pop’s grape vine in Melville Western Australia on 27/05/2017. The cat did not like it and flicked it away.

12. Richard says:

Found one yesterday in Joondalup WA! Freaked us out, but the curator of Entomology Museum of WA helped us out – and also sent us to this site!

13. Joshua says:

Found one this afternoon in Nedlands Perth.

14. Carla says:

Found one in Burgos, Sardinia, Italy.

15. Susan says:

My neighbour brought one over that she had discovered climbing up her leg. I put it on soft earth under a lillypilly close to our grapevines

16. Jude says:

Last year, I found one of these Hawkmoth Caterpillars on lower part of trellis frame. It seemed to be rather “groggy”, perhaps after gorging itself. As several leaves had been seriously nibbled, it was a very unwelcome visitor! I’ll be keeping a wary eye out this year.