What is this!
Location: Coastal Plains area of North Carolina
I was in Wallace North Carolina when I saw these little things all over the tree in my aunts front yard. I’ve never seen this kind of bug before. I snapped a few pictures of it. They live in a colony like ants, and they seem to be carnivorous.
Signature: Darrick Williams

Wheel Bug Hatchlings

Dear Darrick,
This is a relatively newly hatched brood of Wheel Bugs, the largest Assassin Bug in North America.  It is a beneficial predator, though like other Assassin Bugs, it might bite if carelessly handled or if accidentally trapped in clothing.  As these hatchlings continue to grow and molt, they will lose the red youthful coloration and they will disperse, becoming solitary hunters.  It appears that you also have a different species of Assassin bug on the extreme right side of the photo, or else this might be a freshly molted Wheel Bug.  It is difficult to be certain from the photo.

Wheel Bug Hatchling

Location: North Carolina