Huge northern leopard frog…
Location: West Shoal Lake, Manitoba, Canada
Hi again – I thought you may like these for your records.
This is the largest northern leopard frog that I’ve seen in my many years of taking photos of nature in my province. He/she was about 4 inches long, and looked like a toad at first sight. I’m sure it’s not a record, but it blew me away. Found at West Shoal Lake, Manitoba, Canada, in the beautiful marsh surrounding the lake.
I have actually seen one eat another of it’s own kind – legs hanging out and all – I think there are records of them doing that, right?
Signature: -M.M.

Leopard Frog

Dear M.M.,
Thanks for sending us your photo of a Northern Leopard Frog.  We do have some Amphibians on our site.  Amphibians are the proverbial ” canaries in the coal mine” when it comes to habitat degradation.  They are often the first creatures to vanish and that has a ripple effect within the ecosystem.  We imagine that a large frog would be fully capable of eating a smaller frog.  We imagine your marsh is a marvelous place.

You’re very welcome – thank you guys for your continued efforts at this important education.  Thankfully photography has brought me to a greater appreciation of even the smallest things.
Have you considered (in all that free time you have 😀 ) creating a similar site for young children?  I mean obviously the current one is great for all ages, but something child-friendly – where they could learn to appreciate bugs a little more?  I think it’s up to every parent and teacher to help children develop an appreciation and awe for nature and skills for taking care of it – when it’s made personal to them, they can often carry that with them for life.  Perhaps the same offering of ID’s where they can post either drawings or photos – and then providing simplified information… Something very colourful and fun…
Just a thought,  thank you again.

Dear Maggie,
We have tried to the best of our abilities to maintain a website that is child friendly in the sense that we keep obscenities and other inappropriate content off the site.  We recently had a little verbal sparring match with a reader about our stance regarding not wanting to do homework for students.  We feel that the importance of learning how to do research far outweighs having correct answers.  Kim, who berated us for being rude because of our ethical dilemma regarding “doing homework”, made a very good point regarding children using the internet.  Children may encounter inappropriate content on the internet, and we respect that parents do have the onerous task of trying to moderate the content their children are exposed to, which makes a website devoted to children a questionable endeavor, not to mention that at this point in our lives it is also time and labor prohibitive.  There is one additional obstacle regarding us creating a website devoted to children:  all of the principal players involved in our website are childless, hence we don’t really treat children differently than we do adults.  We realize that children are more inquisitive, but we do not speak down to them and we realize that we may need to explain more complex concepts and define the meanings of words that they have not learned before, but that is also the technique we use with our average reader who wants to learn “What’s That Bug?”  In the end, we don’t think a website devoted to children would be much different than our current website so we cannot justify a duplication of programming.  Thank you very much for your suggestion, but we just don’t believe we are the correct team for that job.

Location: Canada