Pepsis colleagues
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Speaking of tarantula wasps, took this photo in Joshua Tree. What are the smaller pollinators on the same plant? Thanks!
Signature: Tracy

Tarantula Hawk and other Wasps on Milkweed

Dear Tracy,
Thanks for supplying us with another image of a magnificent Tarantula Hawk on Milkweed.

Tarantula Hawk

The other Wasps remind us of Tiphiid Wasps, but we cannot find a match.  When we blow up the image to a detail of the smaller pollinators, it is difficult to make out details.  We have requested assistance from Eric Eaton.

Unknown Wasps

Eric Eaton Responds.
Wow, those are not familiar to me….Maybe something in the Philanthinae subfamily of Crabronidae (i.e. “beewolves,” “weevil wasps,” etc).  No doubt that most, if not all, specimens in the image  are males.
Send a link to the image and I’ll post it to the Entomo-l listserv (they don’t want you to attach images to e-mails broadcast to the group).

Doug Yanega provides a theory
Friends:
Hoping someone recognizes these.  Thank you in advance for the assistance.
We just did a Bioblitz at JTNP this weekend, and the only wasps similar to those in the photo were Aphilanthops subfrigidus (see BugGuide). When were those pictures taken?
Doug Yanega
Dept. of Entomology
Entomology Research Museum
Univ. of California, Riverside, CA

Hi again Tracy.  When was this photo taken?

Hi Daniel.  It’s an old photo… I’d say circa 2000.  Yikes, that’s dated — I hope that doesn’t pose a problem.  I pulled it up when I saw the recent tarantula wasp posting.  Love your site.  It was spring.  I remember the Ocotillo blooming.  Am guessing March, as June is too hot and Jan/Feb nights there can be really cold.