Mothra??
Location: Oklahoma
This GINORMOUS moth is sitting on the edge of our house! Do you know what kind it is?
Signature: Elizabeth

Luna Moth

Hi Elizabeth,
At the end of February, we received our first report this season of a Luna Moth sighting, and the letter indicated there was a swarm in Texas.  That prompted us to name the Luna Moth the Bug of the Month for March.  Other reports followed from the southern most portion of the range of the Luna Moth.  As the weather warms in the northern climes, Luna Moth sightings will begin to come to us, generally culminating in reports from Maine and Canada in May and June.  Sightings from later in the season will then come from the southern portion of the range as there are two broods in the South.  It is highly unlikely that the Luna Moth would be confused with any other North American species.

7 Responses to Luna Moth from Oklahoma

1. mike kopper says:

I just spotted a Luna Moth in Athens, Ohio. I was not sure what it was at first sight but with a picture and your website I can say for certain that it indeed was a Luna Moth.

2. john justice says:

I just saw a freshly emerged luna moth on the side of a large pecan tree, 13 Aug 2017, about 3 feet from the ground.

3. Brenda says:

We have a luma moth on our stone just at out front door. That was 6:45am and I expected to see it gone by noon, but it still in his/her place at 6:13 this evening. I subspect his flight will be in the dark purhapes. Guessing it’s tired & resting up! Or waiting for a mate?

Since Luna Moths don’t eat as adults, they save their flying energy. Males will fly to seek mates. We are not certain if females wait for mates or if they also fly prior to mating. A mated female will fly to lay eggs.

4. Ken Stephens says:

Luna Moth sighted in Midwest City, OK today 6/1919 at 4:30 p.m.

5. Gwen Evans says:

Saw a Luna moth this morning in Norman, OK at 9:28 a.m