please identify this bug
Location: Sonome County, California
I have found multiple bites on my horse. When searching her stall i found 4 of these creepy things, two in her shavings and two under the rubber mat.
they crawl very fast, I noticed that the last two sections of the body (tail) are dark compared to the rest of the body. 6 legs and what looks like two stingers on the tail.
Signature: Trina

Wireworm

Hi Trina,
This is a beetle larva, and we believe it is a Wireworm, the larva of a Click Beetle.  You can see other photos of Wireworms on BugGuide.  They are usually found in the soil where they eat insects, roots and seeds.  We do not believe they are responsible for the bites on your horse which are much more likely to be caused by flies, especially Horse Flies.  Since we will be out of the office for the rest of the week, we are postdating this entry to go live later in the week.

Wireworm

One Response to Wireworm

1. Nestor says:

I saw one tgis morning 3 -4 inches long. Is that normal? First time seeing this species.