What is it?
Location: 10 mi West of Augusta GA
What is it?
Signature: JRL

13 Year Locust

Dear JRL,
Seems we snoozed on this one.  As we are such a small staff, we are unable to respond to all of our mail.  When we realized that this Periodical Cicada was sighted this year, we were a bit stunned as they don’t usually appear so early.  When we turned to BugGuide, we realized you already had this image posted there as well.  At the end of March, GPB News website predicted them to begin appearing in a few weeks.  About.Com has this information:  “Of the three extant 13-year broods, Brood XIX covers the most territory geographically. Missouri probably leads in populations of Brood XIX, but notable emergences occur throughout the south and Midwest. In addition to Missouri, Brood XIX cicadas emerge in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, and Oklahoma. This brood appeared in 1998.”  The Growing Georgia website has this information on Brood XIX or Brood 19:  “Brood 19 is one of several distinct broods that regularly emerge throughout the Southeast. They will arrive in large numbers later this month and into May. Thousands of them per acre are expected in some areas. They die about six weeks after their first flight.  Many can come out in a single night. Nymphs emerge when the soil temperature inside their exit tunnels exceeds 64 degrees F. According to UGA’s Georgia Automated Environmental Monitoring Network, soil temperatures at the Watkinsville weather station reached 64 degrees F last year on April 4. These cicadas typically emerge earlier in southern parts of the state. To approximate their arrival anywhere in the state, use the soil temperature calculator at www.georgiaweather.net.  Estimating how many cicadas will emerge and where is tough. Habitat destruction is the biggest factor affecting cicada populations. Periodical cicadas survive underground feeding on root systems. Forested areas produce more cicadas. If trees are cut down or concrete poured over forest floors, their food source is diminished, and they don’t survive.”

Location: Georgia

2 Responses to 13 Year Cicada: Brood XIX Periodical Cicada Emerges in Georgia

1. Vicki says:

I am also in Georgia and I have been seeing them all over the place recently. I have seen 3 in the past 2 days, one was dead the other was on his back unable to turn over, so I helped him out. The other was on a piece of bark on the ground so I took his picture. I thought he was dead until he scared me by buzzing his wings.