Mystery beetle …  possibly
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Hi Bugman!!
I LOVE your site and use it to identify what seems to be a never ending list of bugs I find in my garden in North Carolina. Today I came across this guy, while out gardening around 3pm, and cannot figure out what ’he’ is. It seemed to fly past me and land in an empty dog bowl where it has been resting ever since. We live in Fayetteville, NC and it is in the upper 70’s today if that helps.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Signature: Laurel Hurley

Follow up/Additional info for mystery beetle…possibly
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Hi Bugman!
I just went back out to check on my little friend and he is actually stuck in the bowl. No wings on this guy and he is only about an inch long. He could have fallen from the loblolly pines in the yard, if not I have no clue why he was airborne. Thought I would add that info in case you do look into my mystery.
Signature: Laurel Hurley

Red Headed Ash Borer

Hi Laurel,
This is a Red Headed Ash Borer or a closely related species in the Long Horned Borer Beetle family Cerambycidae.  This species does actually have wings, but the soft flying wings are concealed under the hard wing covers known as the elytra.  The Red Headed Ash Borer is a wasp mimic, and many predators will not bother them after mistaking them for a stinging insect.

Thank you so much for the identification!!! I actually thought it was a wasp at first since I had encountered a few actual wasps earlier in the day. At first glance it really does mimic well, insect evolution is so interesting.
Again, thank you for your time and knowledge!
Laurel

Location: North Carolina