Unknown evil looking bug
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Hello Bugman,
I found this nasty buggy on my car today and would really like to know what he is. Or was, rather. I drove to the store with him on my car, figuring he’d get swept off on the ride, but the little bugger help on like a champ, only to be thwarted when I opened the back hatch. He may still be alive, only separated from his possible family that might possibly live in my yard. I just moved to Jax, Fl from Denver and would love to know if my life is now going to be filled with these types of encounters every day. *gulp*
Thank you so very much for your time,
Amy
Signature: Amy

Wheel Bug Nymph

Hi Amy,
This is a Wheel Bug Nymph, a beneficial predator, and it is the third identification request we are posting from Florida this morning.  Previous inquiries describe the Wheel Bug nymph as beautiful and hideous, and you believe it to be evil looking.  Your Wheel Bug nymph is younger than the other two individuals.  The red color of this early instar nymph will soon vanish.  Very young Wheel Bugs are often mistaken for spiders, and hatchlings tend to stay together at first, separating shortly after hatching.  Wheel Bugs are capable of biting, though we do not receive many reports of people being bitten by them.  You have moved to Florida, and we expect you will be encountering many unusual insects.  We hope you will use our website to distinguish the beneficial species from the problematic species.

Location: Florida