What in the world is this???
Location: Arizona
I found this critter just inside our front door. We live in Arizona, so at first I though it was a baby scorpion. Upon closer inspection, I realized that there was no stinger. It’s about 3/4 of an inch long and seems to either have 8 legs and a pair of antennae or 6 legs, a pair of antennae and a pair of feelers. My daughters are totally grossed out and hope there are no more in the house. Help!!!
Signature: Kids Are Freaking Out

Solifugid

Dear Kids Are Freaking Out,
This is a Solifugid, and though they are commonly called both Sun Spiders and Wind Scorpions, unlike their distant relatives spider and scorpions, they do not possess venom.  They are nonetheless magnificent hunters.  Your kids have nothing to fear from this diminutive species, though if carelessly handled, it is entirely possible that they might bite.

Location: Arizona

2 Responses to Solifugid

1. Marcus says:

Hello, i thought i’d let you know the genus of this windscorpion.

she’s (its a female) an Eremorhax species, a large bulky genus found in california, new mexico, arizona, and texas. I do not know the species, however.

The excessively fuzzy body, enormous chelicerae, and short stubby legs- somewhat similar in appearance to the old world genus- rhagodes makes it easy to id to genus.

2. Richard Portman says:

Do not be afraid it is helpful creature. Before we forced into this insanity, never a problem.
    Nice bug.
    Do not be afraid. We like these bugs
    We are curious what you call them?
    This one looks like trouble.
    Bugs or not we are here.