Help to identify this moth larva please
Location: Maui Hawaii
Aloha, in late March I found that three of these larva had consumed a large gardenia plant in one night. I believe that it is a Sphinx larva, but unsure which. Thanks
Signature: Jim

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Hi Jim,
This is an Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar, an species introduced to Hawaii from the Mediterranean region.  The range of this species has increased with the cultivation of oleander in other regions.  Gardenia is a minor food plant.  The best place to try to identify Sphinx Moths from Hawaii and elsewhere is the Sphingidae of the Americas website.

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Location: Hawaii

7 Responses to Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillars from Hawaii

1. linda lappin says:

Just found a Oleander Hawkmonth caterpillar on my Big Lanai in one of the plants.
    I think the 3 little sacs were not slug babies but babies of the caterpillar. ooooooppps!
    Found 4-23-2015 Hawaii Kai Honolulu

2. maaha says:

I have found oleander hawk moth in Giddy,Sindh ,Pakistan, twice.

3. maaha says:

I have found an adult oleander hawk moth twice in Guddu Sindh,Pakistan as well.

4. Kay Anderson says:

We have beautiful Desert Rose plants and have discovered at least 6 of these creatures. They consumed my plants very rapidly.

• Joanne says:

I too find these on my dessert rose plants. They are a neat spectacle to look at but definitely pests since they consume quickly. You need to remove them asap . I would admire my succulent one afternoon and wake up the next morning to a bare leaf plant, they even eat the flowers ☹️

5. John Hebert says:

I found an Oleander Hawk Moth on the patio of my home in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, USA two days ago. I had never seen anything like it and, upon further research, learned that this species is seldom seen in North America. I wish there was a way to attach the pictures to this post to share with you all.